Rugged mountains, stunning glaciers, flocks of northern seabirds, the wonderful narwhal, and traditional Inuit culture—this is what awaits us on a truly amazing tour to the wilderness of northern Baffin Island. We experience this dramatic Arctic landscape at a time of year when the sun never sets and wildlife is returning. There are northern birds in abundance, including thick-billed murres, black-legged kittiwakes, and king and common eiders. Other highlights include Sabine’s and Thayer’s gulls, red-throated loons and—with much luck—we may see the all-white ivory gull! In addition, the mixing of ocean currents from Baffin Bay and Lancaster Sound makes the marine life very rich. At this time of year, the sea ice is melting and marine mammals are traveling north along the ice floe edge where food is concentrated. We hope to see several species of seals and the amazing spiral-tusked narwhal. With luck, we will also see polar bear or the endangered bowhead whale. Remote wilderness, striking Arctic landscapes, rich northern wildlife, and fascinating culture—this promises to be the adventure of a lifetime!
Participants will need to be in Ottawa the night prior to our flight to Pond Inlet. We are happy to help arrange this overnight. If schedules allow, we can meet for an evening meal. Those arriving early may enjoy a visit the Canadian Museum of Nature before dinner. Night in Ottawa.
View Baffin Island Floe Edge Narwhals & Polar Bears 2014 in a larger map
All prices are per person, in Canadian Dollars (CAD) unless specified otherwise, and are cash or cheque discounted.
- - See the wildlife concentration at the dynamic floe edge
- - Learn first-hand the unique Inuit relationship with nature
- - Seek polar bears, marine mammals and Arctic birds
- - Experience the lure of the North beneath the midnight sun
What's Not Included
- See the wildlife concentration at the dynamic floe edge
- Learn first-hand the unique Inuit relationship with nature
- Seek polar bears, marine mammals and Arctic birds
- Experience the lure of the North beneath the midnight sun